Sunday 23 October 2011

Flat Cooking

Flat Issues

Throughout my blog I have enjoyed cooking for my flat mates. However, a few issues have arisen about cooking together as a flat. One flat mate acknowledged that she no longer wanted to cook with us, due to not having enough money. She found that the food that we would buy altogether would only last until Friday and then she would have to buy extra food on top of this, making it around 60 dollars a week on food for her. We have three boys in the flat and find that they eat a lot more food than the girls. Another issue is that some of our flat mates wouldn’t start to prepare or cook on their night of the week until 8:00pm therefore dinner wouldn’t be ready until 9:00-10:00pm depending on what they were cooking.  Much discussion took place about this issue. So, two guys are now cooking together, one guy just decides what he wants to cook each night, and the other girl and I cook together sometimes or cook individually depending on our plans for the night. I found this was a great mutual decision as we are all busy studying and participating in sport, so we are always home at different times and hungry at different times.  It is also a great way to save money and choose what you want to spend your money on. Let this cooking individual thing start!
Cooking Individually
We have been cooking separately for a couple of nights now. I find cooking by myself great as I can prepare and cook when I want to. Deciding what to cook for dinner is easy as I am making dishes that I enjoy. I feel when I make a new dish by trying a new recipe and if it turns out to be a disaster I am the only one who tastes it. Even though we are cooking individually it doesn’t mean that we do this all the time. Through communication and through some organisation I sometimes cook with another flat mate or a couple of flat mates, depending on the day.
I found this actually brought the flat back together as a family because when we were cooking together we would have a lot of discussions or disagreements about, money, dishes, ingredients, what to cook and many more topics. Now that we are cooking individually or as a couple of us, we communicate with each other a lot more. We now have a great rule when doing dishes, this would be, ‘if you use it, you clean it’. The dishes issue has now been resolved. Now, we are a much friendlier, funnier and happier flat due to finding solutions to our problems.
Nothing has changed from my previous posts, I still enjoy making sure what I cook is delicious and present the final dish superbly. Cooking still means the same to me as do, affordances, ergonomics, work, labour and the need.

No comments:

Post a Comment