Monday 17 October 2011

Work

I have learnt that work is not only to earn a living but incorporates much more for an individual. Everyone can work differently and view work differently. Work involves learning, working together, values, spirituality, self-expression, creating, workmanship.
Arendt (1958) describes work as the activity which corresponds to the unnaturalness of human existence, whereas labour involves biological processes.
The most important aspect of the definition of work is its world making capacity.  It is the way that we produce houses, cars, tools as well as the clothes that we wear.  Or the ideas that we live with. Making it what we want it to be, rather than what has to be for survival.
Work provides an “artifical” world of things, distinctly different from all natural surroundings. The human condition of work is worldliness. 
I tend to be structured in my work thus allowing me to achieve more in my day. I realise that not everyone works in this way. It is important for the individual to ‘work’ in an enjoyable, productive way affording happiness, success and satisfaction.
When cooking I like to be structured in my approach by being organised and I work to achieve a satisfactory, successful outcome.

Arendt, H. (1958). The human condition (2nd ed.). Chicago: Chicago University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment